Photo by Andreas Praefcke, cc-by-3.0 via wikimedia commons.jpgThe Bible in Seven Words:
If you had to summarize the Bible in seven words, which seven would you use?
The Bible in Seven Sentences:
- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1).
- God rules the kingdom of heaven, and He appointed Adam to rule the kingdom of earth, to have dominion over every creature on earth (Gen 1:26-28; 2:19-20), and to master the physical earth itself (Gen 2:15).
- A rebel from the kingdom of heaven (Rev 12:7-9, Job 1:7-11, Isa 14:12-15, Eze 28:12-18) deceived Adam's wife Eve (1Tim 2:14) and led Adam to rebel (Rom 5:14), thereby assuming Adam's kingship over the kingdom of this world (Luke 4:6, Jhn 12:31, 2Cor 4:4).
- The Old Testament Scriptures reveal God as good, worthy to be obeyed, and loving of rebels – both by His patience toward them and by His willingness to enter into covenant with those who want to obey Him (Gen 6:18, 15:18-20; Exo 19:5-6; 2Sam 23:5).
- The New Testament proclaims the gospel that the kingdom of heaven has come near (Mar 1:14-15, Luk 16:16, Mat 24:14, Act 8:12) in the arrival of God's Anointed King (Psa 2:2,6-7; Mar 1:1; Jhn 20:31) who defeated the rebel king by rebelling perfectly against him (Mat 4:1-10) and by obeying God to the point of death (1Jhn 3:8, Psa 2:8-9, Dan 2:44, Rom 5:19; Pp 2:8).
- With those who want to obey the Anointed King, God establishes a new covenant (Jer 31:31-34, Luk 22:20) in which He transforms rebels into obeyers (Jhn 3:3-5, Rom 5:12 - 6:19, Eph 4:20-24).
- At the end of this age, God will reunite the kingdom of this world with the kingdom of heaven (Rev 11:15).
The Bible in Seven Messages
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth:
- Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
God rules the kingdom of heaven, and He appointed Adam to rule the kingdom of earth, to have dominion over every creature on earth:
- Genesis 1:26-28 “Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
- Genesis 2:19-20 “Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.”
- Genesis 2:15 “Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
A rebel from the kingdom of heaven:
- Revelation 12:7-9 “And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the slanderer and enemy who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”
- Job 1:7-11 “And the Lord said to the enemy ‘From where do you come?’ So the enemy answered the Lord and said, ‘From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.’ Then the Lord said to the enemy ‘Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?’ So the enemy answered the Lord and said, ‘Does Job fear God for nothing? Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!’ ”
- Isaiah 14:12-15; Ezekiel 28:12-18
- 1Timothy 2:14 “And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.”
- Romans 5:14 “Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.”
- Luke 4:6 “And the slanderer said to Him, "All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish.”
- 1John 5:19 “We know that we are of God, and the whole world is in the evil one.”
- John 12:31 “Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.”
The Old Testament Scriptures reveal God as good, worthy to be obeyed, and loving of rebels – both by His patience toward them and by His willingness to enter into covenant with those who want to obey Him:
- Genesis 6:18 “But I will establish My covenant with you; and you will go into the ark - you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you.”
- Genesis 15:18 “On the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram . . .”
- Exodus 19:5-6 “Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine.”
- 2Samuel 23:5 “Although my house is not so with God, yet He has made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things and secure. For this is all my salvation and all my desire; Will He not make it increase?”
The New Testament proclaims the gospel that the kingdom of heaven has come near:
- Mark 1:14-15 “Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."
- Luke 16:16 “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.”
- Matthew 24:14 “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.”
- Acts 8:12 “But when they believed Philip’s evangelizing of things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus the Anointed, both men and women were immersed.”
- Ps 2:2,6-7 “The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against His Anointed . . . ‘Yet I have set My King On My holy hill of Zion.’ ‘I will declare the decree: The Lord has said to Me, “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.” ’ ”
- Mark 1:1 “The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Anointed, the Son of God.”
- John 20:31 “but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Anointed, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.”
- 1John 3:8 “He who sins is of the slanderer, for the slanderer has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the slanderer.”
- Ps 2:8-9 “Ask of Me, and I will give You the nations for Your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for Your possession. You will break them with a rod of iron; You will dash them to pieces like a potter's vessel.’ ”
- Daniel 2:44 “And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed; and the kingdom shall not be left to other people; it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it will stand forever.”
- Romans 5:19 “For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous.”
- Philippians 2:8 “And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”
For those who want to obey the Anointed King, God establishes a new covenant:
- Jeremiah 31:31-34 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah - not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."
- Luke 22:20 “Likewise He also took the cup after
supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is
shed for you.”
- John 3:5-6 “Jesus answered, ‘Most assuredly, I say
to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the
kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that
which is born of the Spirit is spirit.’ ”
- Romans 5:12 - 6:19
- Ephesians 4:20-24 “But you have not so learned the King, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
At the end of this age, God will reunite the kingdom of this world with the kingdom of heaven:
- Revelation 11:15 “Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdom of this world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Anointed and He will reign forever and ever!"
Except where otherwise noted, all Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
"The Bible in Seven Words" by Matthew Bryan was first published at www.matthewbryan.net July 8th, 2015. All rights reserved.